- Huxham, M., Scoles, J., Green, U., Purves, S., Welsh, Z., and Gray, A., 2016. ‘Observation has set in’: comparing students and peers as reviewers of teaching. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02602938.2016.1204594.
- Green, U., and Scoles, J., 2016. Pioneering a Peer Review Initiative: Students as Colleagues in the Review of Teaching Practices, Teaching and Learning Together in Higher Education, 1(19).
- Fenwick, T., Doyle S., Michael M and Scoles J., 2015. Matters of learning and education: sociomaterial approaches in educational research. In S Bollig, M-S Honig, S Neumann, and C Seele (Eds.) MultiPluriTrans in Educational Ethnography Approaching the Multimodality, Plurality, and Translocality of Educational Realities. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Scoles, J., Huxham, M., and McArthur, J., 2013. Mixed-Methods Research in Education: Exploring Students’ Response to a Focused Feedback Initiative, In: SAGE Research Methods Cases (online resource). SAGE Publications, Ltd.: London.
- Scoles, J., Huxham, M., and McArthur, J., 2012. No longer exempt from good practice: using exemplars to close the feedback gap for exams, Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 38(6), pp. 631-645.
Talks and Workshops
- Scoles, J., 2015. Students as Colleagues: Enabling students to assist in peer review of teaching practices, 40th International Conference on Improving University Teaching, Faculty of Law, University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 15-17 July 2015.
- Scoles, J., Purves, S., Sinclair, K., Green, U., and Matthew. A., 2015. Rethinking peer, rethinking review: Students’ transition to colleagues, QAA’s International Conference on Enhancement and Innovation in Higher Education, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Glasgow, 9 June 2015.
- Scoles, J., and Sinclair, K., 2015. Rethinking peer, rethinking review: Students’ collaboration in the review of teaching practices, SPARQS National Conference, Heriot-Watt University, 29 May 2015. Student Engagement SPARQS Award – runner-up.
- Scoles, J., 2014. Ethnography in Practice: Pitfalls and Possibilities, PhD Workshop, Edinburgh Napier University, 6th September, 2014.
- Scoles, J., 2013. A sociomaterial approach to knowing in an emerging sector: The use of photo-elicitation to surface materiality, Researching Professionals, Their Work and Organizations Paper Development Masterclass, Centre for Professional Service Firms, Cass Business School, City University London, 10 September, 2013.
- Scoles, J., 2013. Partnering with a renewable energy industry to reconceptualise the ‘skills gap’ between HE and the workplace, HEA Annual Conference: Powerful partnerships: defining the learning experience, University of Warwick, 3-4 July, 2013.
- Scoles, J., 2013. The entangled engineer: a sociomaterial approach to knowing in an emerging sector, 8th International Conference on Researching Work and Learning, University of Stirling, 19-21 June, 2013.
- Scoles, J., 2012. Using Microsoft Word for Qualitative Analysis: Level 1 Coding, Postgraduate workshop, School of Education, University of Stirling, 24 September, 2012.
- Scoles, J., 2012. Reconceptualising the ‘skills gap’ discourse: Professional knowing in the emerging sector of renewable energy, Postgraduate student conference, School of Education, University of Manchester, 2-3 August, 2012.
- Scoles, J., Huxham, M., McArthur, J. and Hounsell, J. 2011. Tipping out the Boot Grit: the use of on-going feedback devices to enhance feedback dialogue, Assessment in Higher Education Conference, University of Cumbria, Carlisle, 6 July, 2011.
- Scoles, J., 2011. Improving Feedback Dialogue in Large First Year Classrooms, Edinburgh Napier Annual Staff Conference, Edinburgh, 23 June, 2010.
- Scoles, J., 2009. The Role of Feedback in a Collaborative Learning Experience, Learning and the London Workplace Conference, Foundation of International Education, London, 3 April, 2009.
- Scoles, J. 2011. Undergraduate students’ conceptions of and engagement with feedback in a work-based learning experience, Masters of Research Thesis, University of Stirling, unpublished.
- Scoles, J. 2005. Developing alternative caregiver relationships, BSc (Hons) Thesis, University of Bath and Harvard University, unpublished.